Friday, September 30, 2022

A JOURNAL OF LIFE’S LESSONS- PART 2

 




A JOURNAL OF LIFE’S LESSONS- PART 2


“The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent'.”

Alfred Brendel

“When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.”

Ernest Hemingway

“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”

Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful


This journal is a record of the lessons that life has taught me. I am still learning. I do confess that much of what I have written below are stages that most of us pass through or come across in the course of our living. I have been guilty of many of the transgressions I have dared to list. But I have learned and tried to correct myself. The purpose of sharing this is the fond hope that it helps us to introspect and realize where we stand. It's never too late to change and correct. In the end, our life is all about relationships.


Listen and be heard. Most of the time you are busy listening to your own voice so much that you are not sure you have been listened to. Most of the time you shout to make sure you are heard, but sadly the receiver shuts himself off rather than listen to the noise. In the process, you lose your authenticity and termed a loud mouth with no substance. You do not matter. More often than not, shouting is a defense mechanism to camouflage your own insecurities. Calmness results from self-assurance and from recognizing your strengths and more importantly your weaknesses.


Don’t keep talking about options and alternatives for everything. Of course, it is necessary to evaluate what is best for you, but too many options and too many alternatives for deciding day-to-day mundane activities will only end up getting nothing done. In the process, you will end up confusing not only yourself but also the other person to whom it is addressed. I am reminded of the book ‘Zen and the Art of Archery’. When you aim, too many options and alternatives will only serve to distract you and the arrow will never find the mark.


It is easy to order but difficult to execute. You may be master of the house but that does not mean you should expect servitude from others around you, especially your partner and spouse. It appalls me to see a chauvinistic male riding roughshod over his wife for trivial things forgetting that she has an equal or more than an equal right in running the house. It is time the spouse called a spade a spade and draws the line. Everyone has a value, the faster you realize it, the more conducive your relationships will become. Become a participant and add value to your partner.  My wife and I have been married for forty-five years now, and though we have had our differences it was never anything major. I have never shouted at her nor has she lost her cool. 


Some time ago I was talking to my niece and the conversation veered off to the topic of male chauvinism. That was when I first learned that there was a word for it ‘Mansplaining’. Afterward, when I looked up the meaning of the word, this is what the dictionary had to say ‘to explain something to a woman in a condescending way that assumes she has no knowledge about the topic’. 


The root of this word is traced back to a series of essays written by Rebecca Solnit way back in 2012 and most specifically in her book ‘Men Explain Things to Me’. She says -


Men explain things to me, still. And no man has ever apologized for explaining, wrongly, things that I know and they don’t”.


“Arrogance might have had something to do with the war, but this syndrome is a war that nearly every woman faces every day, a war within herself too, a belief in her superfluity, an invitation to silence, one from which a fairly nice career as a writer (with a lot of research and facts correctly deployed) has not entirely freed me. After all, there was a moment there when I was willing to let Mr. Important and his overweening confidence bowl over my more shaky certainty”.


While reiterating that credibility is a basic survival tool, she writes “Having the right to show up and speak are basic to survival, to dignity, and to liberty. I’m grateful that, after an early life of being silenced, sometimes violently, I grew up to have a voice, circumstances that will always bind me to the rights of the voiceless.” 

While I can empathize with the feelings of Rebecca Solnit regarding male chauvinistic behavior, I find it equally true in same-gender interactions. It happens at the work level and relationship levels. I have seen, whether a male or a female, seeking dominance in interactions and mostly being rude and in a condescending manner. I have seen this happening with colleagues and more importantly within the family and that is where the damage occurs, many times irreparable.

Most such behavior stems from the ‘Know it all attitude’, not accepting the fact that the person you are talking to may be more than qualified to rebut your statements. I have found that such attitude can be traced back to childhood and upbringing. You spend most of the time deriding others forgetting the adage ‘the pot calling the kettle black’.


Stop commenting on other people's physical attributes you are not perfect yourself. Once when I commented to my daughter about her friend that she has put on weight and was looking fat, she looked at me and said ‘Pa, stopped body shaming. It really hurts. Hope she did not hear what you said.” That was when I learned what body shaming was. That was a lesson I learned, not to pass derogatory comments. Of course, now I tell my daughters to be physically active and look after their health. A more subtle way of conveying that they need to look after themselves. 


Perhaps one of the most important words I have come across is ‘dumping’. I have learned over time that most of what we acquire does not really serve its purpose. There is nothing wrong with wanting to own the latest gadgets, that is a human tendency-to own. I am at a stage where I do not know what to dump and where. The acquisitions have encroached on my space so the mantra as someone told me is ‘Dump it’. There is nothing wrong with acquisitions as long as they serve their purpose, and once that is done they are pushed to the side to be ultimately ‘dumped’. This cannot be carried to relationships. I went back in time to a period when as a young man much into music and newfound economic freedom (the aftermath of the first job) went about acquiring the things that I always wanted to have – a motorcycle, a stereo system, music LPs and ultimately a wife; for all practical purposes, it was in that order. The others have been dumped while the last one endures. That’s the point, in the end, what matters are the things that endure. 


My wife abhors wastage of any kind and this has rubbed off on me. The most grievous wastage is of food. One should indulge to satisfy one’s gastronomic urges once in a while. That should do the trick, but make it a habit and you are in for trouble with your health as well as your purse. More than that, most of the time unable to consume what you have got, the easiest way you find is to ‘dump it’. This is serious business for what you have dumped could have gone towards feeding a few needy mouths. Get what you want and get what you can eat. 


Humor is an essential part of our living. It lightens the heart and enlivens our living. But not when you try to pass off sarcasm as humor. It is hurtful and dims relationships. I have also been guilty of such transgressions, till I fell a victim to such jibes. I have since become conscious of what I speak, but I still can’t stop hitting out at sarcasm with sarcasm. Maybe I shall in due course learn to ignore and move on. That could be an effective counter. But why the sarcasm? Isn’t it better to be straight than devious?


TO BE CONTINUED

6 comments:

Heather West said...

Fantastic post! It is all about finding the right path to the inner peace and balance. Each one has his/her own way. Silent and listen! I am reminded of a discourse on ‘Moun’ (Silence) by Osho where he talks about two patients in a mental health institution. He said they were the perfect model of communication - one would talk on his topic, while the other will intently listen and when the speaker finishes the listener will take over, without ever disturbing the other. It was so peaceful, but there was absolutely no connectivity between the topics they were discussing. Osho said their behaviour was no different from how we behaved because they were following the rules of polite communication.
The modern idiom has added meanings to words which we were accustomed to listening without impact. Only thing is to remain ‘woke’ enough to realise it!

PVR said...

‘Reading maketh a full man but conference makes a ready man’. Conferring with others close to you , work with you, live with you,treating each member as equal member of the team without any prejudices on the basis of gender, caste, class , creed etc,is the way to enduring success and peace. That presupposes that one respects others as much as he/she holds his/her self respect and that will automatically result in ‘listening to learn’.Learning is an infinite process.

Smitha said...

I love all the points you've spoken about in this post. I've always told my children, my husband, my dad and my friends that ' humor at other's expense is not humor. It's plain meanness.'I guess, I've been guilty of body shaming too but it's only to say someone's put on weight or is dressed unbecomingly; it wasn't meant to criticize the fat. Personally, I think, it's how you say it that matters. If someone tells me kindly that I've put on weight, I would appreciate it as it would get me to exercise.
I liked the point you made about being loud. I've pointed it to my girls often that you don't need to yell, if you're right.
Mansplaining, criticizing others, know-it-all attitude are irritating attitudes and like you said, it happens in the same gender too. We need to be mindful of not only what we say but also how we say it. Thank you for this post.

kerala said...

You have summarized beautifully the lessons we learn in life. Coming to your take on avoiding the wastage of food by eating it, our guiding principle could be "Don't waste food by eating it." - Kerala Varma

R B Iyer said...

It’s part of man’s or even common in Indian women DNA as they are influenced by their parent hood and observing their guardians behaviour in formative years
Their are some unexplained transfers that happen during these formative years and it can swing either way of the parents nature
No thumb rules on a persons behaviour but exceptions are their

Vijaya said...

The irony is a lot of people 'know' what you have elaborated so beautifully; yet fail to comply with it more often than not that. I think the important feeling here is your sensitivity. If you recognise that it will be easier to avoid these traps! Well done my dear dear friend

\

THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING

  THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING It all started last night when I was watching the Tv. I do not pay much attention to the ads, but this one caugh...