Thursday, June 11, 2020

A QUESTION OF CONSCIENCE - 1




A QUESTION OF CONSCIENCE - 1

Few days ago, while on a chat with a good old friend, he made an observation ‘You at times come across as very hesitant to hit the nail on its head just to avoid the possibility of someone getting hurt’. I accepted that it could be true. Of course, in the process, I asked myself where I stand. This followed a video which he had sent, a disturbing one about the migrants who were on the way back to their homes far away, forced by the present situation and the general apathy shown towards their plight, though there were words galore expressing sympathy, deeds were few. I write this as I sit safe and comfortable within the confines of my apartment. I can afford to do that because this is my home and I am assured of the care and attention of dear ones. Yes, I am appalled at what is happening outside. But how concerned am I? A question of conscience? Well, I had to accept that as long as nothing happens to my dear and near ones and I am safe, I can afford to speculate on the travails of the common man on the street, leave alone the larger problem and the tragedy of the migrant, and sympathize.

I understood what he meant when he said that I am hesitant to hit the nail on the head. Yes, that’s true. I have always kept away from being judgmental, but in the process, my writings have always tended towards exploring an individual’s anxiety rather than taking a stand on the plight of the individual in what at most times comes across as an indifferent world. Of course, as an individual, I am bound by my own limitations of physical strength and more importantly, I find it is the lack of will on my part to actively involve myself in the only way I know – writing. How much can I contribute to raising a general awareness? I am not a reformer nor am I a man of much consequence, but I realize that it requires a will greater than the individual’s, a collective will, and determination of the powers that are, in this case, the Government. It’s also true that you require two hands to clap, but one is enough to slap. That perhaps is the only way I can describe Democracy and Dictatorship. We abhor Authoritarianism for it treads on the individual’s freedom. We are still to describe what exactly is an individual’s freedom. Man is a social animal (well, that’s the adage), but how much of your freedom are you willing to sacrifice to prove that you are indeed a social animal. This is another question of conscience. One can never discount the fact that over the ages there have been (they still are) individuals whose overwhelming concern was/is for the general good. But a majority of us sit back and let them do their work, applauding perhaps, and most time finding holes to justify our own inability to come up with solutions. Introspection, the will to change, and last but not the least, active participation is what is needed.

I remember that long time ago I wrote some poems, out of the sheer angst that I felt arising out of youthful idealism. They have now been confined to the pages of a collection of a book of poems that I titled ‘Secrets of the Soul’. There are a few lines which I reproduce here -

 The old man sits,
His hands no longer outstretched,
But held over his head,
In a vain attempt,
To shelter from the rain.
There are no trees in this city,
No roof for this old man,
As he waits,
For the rain to stop,
On the pavement.
The rain stops,
The night grows cold:  From Ominous Patterns

There is a long poem titled ‘The Refugee’ which I have posted earlier in my blog so I am reproducing only a few lines here–

I toil to lighten,
That everlasting hunger.
And the nights I retire,
Into that world of dreams,
Myself in the midst,
Of all those past scenes.
But dear sir, this I know,
I am waiting for the day,
The day I have to go”
With these words he moved,
Back to the world of dreams.
He had taken refuge.

‘Fragments’ which you could even term as a question of conscience-

“How can I a living earn?”
I hear the leper cry,
But I wait for him to pass me by.
The truth is he is right,
And I am aware of his plight.
But I stay still,
Unmoved,
Silent and straight as that hill.

I reproduced the above only to highlight the fact that we all have similar questions of conscience. We have felt, but moved on, like the last four lines of the last poem. Recognition of a problem does not solve it. Somewhere along the way we become too involved with ourselves and let all those feelings bury themselves deep inside us. It is time for us to dig them out and evaluate where we stand. Maybe we shall find our way to authenticity.

Coming back to where we started, the Migrant. The video was disturbing, but not judgmental, for it depicted a reality as it exists, leaving the rest as a ‘Question of Conscience’. Herds or rather hordes, whichever way you want to classify them, the first is a large group of animals and the second a large group of people with their families. So it is correct to say hordes of migrants making their way back to their homes far away – some bundled in vehicles and others not so lucky on foot with blisters bursting, desperate to be in their homes (which they had left for sustenance), to be again with their near and dear ones, not knowing whether they will reach their destination, but willing to risk even their lives in trying, rather than die of starvation in an alien land.

When I first mentioned herd, it was only because the first reaction was a herd of sheep. But the difference was that they were shepherded and sure of reaching their destination. But the second and more morbid picture was that of cattle herded into a truck taking them to the abattoir.

The migrant problem will exist as long as the problem of poverty, scarcity, and security exist in the country. I know that this is not a problem that can be solved overnight in a country as populated and diverse as ours. The problem will exist, but can we make it more comfortable and welcome to all those people who have left their homes to be with us, for the reality is we need them as much as they need us.





6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, u seem to be on the same path even after a discourse with the self.

Deepak Pandya said...

Individual's freedom in a society is akin to a myth even in the free societies. Very few brave people are able to snatch away small or big amount of freedom by paying a price. Some make it big, others fall by the wayside. It is a matter of debate whether we get enough in return from the society for the price we we pay in terms of sacrificing our freedom. Different individuals strike their own deals, some manage more leeway for themselves, others less. By and large, it must be a reasonable deal and hence the society survives. Different organizations whose rules govern us are family, workplace, religious and political organizations. In different societies, the dominance of different organizations will be different. It also changes with time. In the past, religion was dominant. Today, it is no more dominant, except in a few societies. Political parties dominate in Communist countries. Family dominates to different extents in different societies. In some societies, one would sacrifice family for a career. In others, one would sacrifice career, glory, other personal passion for the family.

In my view, the book, 'I am just an ordinary man' is a tribute to all such people who sacrifice all their 'extraordinariness' so that the family feels secure and is assured of satisfying their 'ordinary' needs. A genius, capable of thinking about major problems of humanity and enlightening the people about serious problems facing the society ends up becoming an ordinary man providing for house, car, TV etc.

Apart from sacrificing intellectual persuit and personal passion, one also sacrifices conscience because, one gets so enslaved by dominant organizations, in most cases, the family and the workplace. All the time, we have some or the other responsibility on us, there is no freedom to spend time or any other resource on things that are other than the ones prescribed by our master organizations. We become their prisoners and not that of our conscience. Slowly, this slavery desensitizes us about things that would normally shake us mentally.

Communist society had promised the dictatorship of the proletariat. Today, powerful politicians along with the rich are treating the public as slaves. Great irony and a great fraud on humanity. Revolutionary leaders had said, "You have nothing to lose but your chains". Today, the chains are tighter. Mao said, "Religion is the opium of the masses". Communism is a stronger opium. You are not allowed to have a conscience. The ideology has no conscience. Likewise, you may have a family, a workplace, a religion without a conscience that are dominating you and not letting you have a conscience. To conclude, I would say :-

I am just an ordinary puppet.

Unknown said...

As i mentioned in one of my delayed comments to another friend that while dealing with an individual it is wise any praise of his conduct be done in public but any reprimand be made in private. But for public authorities, it has to be vice versa,if the freedom of speech has to have any meaningful role to play in a democracy.
Public weal, whenever seen being hurt by the acts of commission or omission by a public authority must be loudly and boldly critiqued. Conscience is for private domain. For public domain, social morality is primary. Private domains are by nature limited to a smaller circle.
I cannot but recall the comment of Camus' - Due to a strange reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called upon to justify itself.
Having been brought up in a Rajput family, the traditional wisdom given to us is that the greatest flaw in anyone's character is lack of courage to fight for the rights of the weak and downtrodden.
So, go ahead and see if your Gita lessons can help one to discover dharma, for dharma, the basis of all our actions, has to be discovered and found while conscience is ever present to guide the sensitive ones to think along right lines. Or, do I venture to say, Dharma is conscience given a lease of life through the oxygen of right actions. Conscience by itself is powerless. At best it is potential but not kinetic energy, and it is latter alone that can help one to decrease entropy of a system that needs mending to become a source of common weal.

Unknown said...

It is NOT a question of Conscience.It is either a question of IGNORANCE or COWARDICE or both🙏

Raja said...

So many things we take for granted, are only appreciated when they are not available anymore. If they are poor, we call them Migrant labor. Aren't our educated twitterati who serve in vital roles in greener pastures abroad, also migrant labor? Under the skin, we are all the same.

Conscience is equally subjective. Perception of right and wrong differs individually and comes from the upbringing as a child. These are all in subtle shades of all colours, with no clear definition of right or wrong.

I feel that if an individual, while contributing to society, ensures that his or her actions do not harm others, probably that is the right dharma. Since everyone is not cut out to be a hero or heroine, supporting someone who excels or takes up causes deemed by him or her as worthwhile, is one of the alternatives to improving society in general.

Smitha said...

I had written a similar post a long time ago about how we the 'comfortable' class use such topics as drawing room conversations and soon after forget them because it doesn't matter to us. While I believe not everyone can go out and physically help, people can dig into their pockets and find organizations who help the less blessed - in this case the migrant workers. Unfortunately while people dont think twice before dining out ( before the lockdown) or ordering a pizza or buying themselves a starbucks coffee, they think a million times before providing even a little financial help to someone in distress. That is the sad reality. I guess we just need to do what we can - what is in our hands because we cannot change the entire world. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING

  THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING It all started last night when I was watching the Tv. I do not pay much attention to the ads, but this one caugh...