Wednesday, January 19, 2022

A CAT’S LIFE - CONVERSATION WITH A CAT

 



A CAT’S LIFE

After a lapse of nearly a year, I have ventured to write and post something on my blog. For that matter, my laptop has been craving for attention. I dusted of the cobwebs and started to write. I had been bereft of any constructive thought and it had taken me this much time to summon up enough courage to break through this period of freeze.

It had taken a cat to wake me from my slumber. During the last three months here in my daughter’s place I have learned, interacted and in the process found a new friend, to the extent I started speaking to him. Well, how does one speak with a cat?

If I could speak with my beard, why not a cat. Readers of my blog will recollect ‘Conversations with My Beard’. But he (my beard) has not spoken for a long time. Maybe age is catching up, he has turned completely white.

He (the cat) has a name but I shall address him only as a cat respecting his need for privacy. Even now as I write this, he is sitting near the door, wondering what the hell I am up to.

 

A CAT’S LIFE - CONVERSATION WITH A CAT.

I must have dozed off on the sofa while watching the TV which often happens. Why must have! I had actually gone to sleep when I was woken up by a scratching sound, the sound of something scraping on the upholstery near my feet. I knew what to expect, for this has been happening quite frequently. I looked down and gazed into his eyes and said “Hello, there is still time, half an hour to go”.

“Meowww!” he purred and started rubbing himself against my legs and looked at me pleadingly. That was the final straw. My daughter says that is emotional blackmail, don’t give in, let him wait till it is time for his feed. As it is, he is putting on weight.

It was approaching feeding time and he was very punctual as if there was an alarm in his stomach. Well, I gave in to his entreaties as he went on meowing. When I got up and walked towards the shelf, he ran after me and then sat looking up expectantly. Once his bowl was filled, the external world was lost to him as he set himself to fulfill his gastronomic urges.

It was one of those nights when I went to sleep early. I woke up suddenly around midnight as I felt something (couldn’t have been someone since there was no space for two heads) sitting on my pillow and tapping me on my shoulder. I turned to look and there he was staring at me.

“Meowww” and then he purred as if he did not want to disturb the other person in the room, which happened to be my wife.

“Don’t you have anything better to do than to wake me up from my sleep. You have been sleeping nearly the whole day. I have read somewhere that cats sleep for nearly fifteen hours a day and watching you I believe that is so. You could have reserved a major portion of it for the night and let me get along with mine,” I murmured.

“You see I do not get enough time to talk to you during the day, not that you are busy. In fact, I see you dozing off on the sofa with the TV on. There is not much difference between us,” he replied.

For a moment I was taken aback. He was speaking and very clearly.

“What! I never knew you could talk. All the while I have only heard you meow”.

“Who said we cannot talk. We do that when we need to. You see I have been privy to all the conversations you have with the others in the house. With all that cacophony around me, you think I could not have picked up the language. It is better to keep quiet and listen, that’s a lesson I have learned. You know, sometimes I also need to get things off my chest. But there is no other cat in the house. The closest thing I found was you. I have been observing you for some time and I came to the conclusion that you are the cat I have been searching for”.

“What! I am not a cat. If you ask me, I can only say that ‘It’s a Dog’s Life’. I would have loved to be a cat though. After all you guys have nine lives”.

“What bunkum! Do you believe that? Just because some Willy guy said that you take it to be the truth. I guess it’s all because you take things literally without trying to understand. Well, have you heard of an ancient proverb that claims ‘A cat has nine lives, for three he plays, for three he strays and for the last three he stays.’ That’s closer to the truth. It’s true for you also. So why all this fuss about nine lives. If you look at your life you will be having many more,” he replied.

That made sense, I thought. Of course, I have played and strayed more than I have stayed.

“I always thought that your ilk does not carry any worries. Very evident from the way you sleep, all curled up, so peaceful. The only time I see you all worked up is when it is time for your feed” I said.

“Well, that’s what you presume and never really try to understand that we also have feelings. You know, every time you guys go out leaving me alone at home, I feel lonely and a sort of depression descends. That’s when I feel the absence of another of my kind. But I should admit I am well looked after. You feed me on time and sometimes play with me, cuddle me and call me all sorts of endearing names. I like it. But don’t you realize that I have not seen the world outside the walls of this house. This does stifle me sometimes and that’s when I feel low in spirits. I often wonder what the others of my kind, especially the outdoor ones do. There must be a lot of excitement in their lives, hunting for food, meeting other cats, and learning to survive in a hostile atmosphere. How would you feel if you had been locked up inside the house, not going out or meeting people, working to sustain yourself? That would have been an exciting life. But I have watched you for some time now, the only thing you do is eat, sleep, again eat, sleep, watch TV sitting in one corner of the sofa. I at least walk around the house and chase flies to keep myself fit. I have seen you go for days without a bath. We never allow such a thing. You would have seen me grooming myself when not sleeping. We are more organized and disciplined. So don’t say ‘It’s a Cat’s Life’ you are leading. I am much better than that. Though I do sleep a lot as cats normally do, I am still agile and alert. That reminds me of the time you fell down and landed on your butt, it never happens to us. We always land on our feet: in that sense, we are well-grounded.”

I listened to him in silence. There was really nothing much I could do to refute or say something in my defense. I realized that I had indeed become what he said. But I could not give up without putting in a word.

“Well, if not a Cat’s life, at least a Dog’s life?” I asked.

“I have nothing more to say. You keep comparing yourself with beings other than a human, which you are. I don’t blame you. You have willed it and you are turning into one, may it be a cat or a dog. It will not be much time before you say you are leading a Pig’s Life. You can wallow in the dirt and mud and feel happy about it.”

“Well, it seems you have now got all that off your chest



, you must be feeling relaxed now?” I said.

“For the present yes. But I will be back periodically to wake you up and pour my woes to you. As it is you are the only cat around with whom I can talk.”

I watched him as he got off my pillow jumped down and made his way to one of the chairs and retire for the night.

 

6 comments:

N MOHAN said...

Beautifully designed and expressed the moments in the life of a cat brought up within four walls as a pet. Also describing the cats communication with us it's requirements without any confusion. This reminds one that a dumb and deafs communication with any one is crystal clear with no mix up or confusion.
Yes a pet dog can be taken out but Not a pet cat and this feeling is well expressed in this blog

A good article for everyone

Mohan. Chennai

Smitha said...

Welcome back to creativity and writing. I'm so glad the cat got you to write again. I hope you don't ever let your laptop collect cobwebs again.

Cats or Enjoyed reading your post wherein the cat serves as a reminder to wake up and start making yourself useful. In that, the cat staring at you silently sounds like your conscience nudging you to do more than watching TV. I hope though you are feeling stronger now and the 'fall down the stairs' wasn't too bad. Take care and kudos to writing again.

Raja said...

Hi Subbu. Welcome back to a MEEEEOOOOWWWW from Rangan. Keep 'em coming.

PVR said...

Lock down induced imagination well channelled to bring out a riveting post!����

kerala said...

Good to see you back, Subbu. It's always a pleasure to read your blogs. Your following passage brings out the truth behind all our faiths and belief systems, be it the worship of a religious god or a cartoon superhero like Superman!

"After all you guys have nine lives”.

“What bunkum! Do you believe that? Just because some Willy guy said that you take it to be the truth. I guess it’s all because you take things literally without trying to understand."

Sudheer Mankodi said...

Nice to see you back in action, Subbu. I would express my feelings after reading this article with just one word, "म्यांऊ"

THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING

  THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING It all started last night when I was watching the Tv. I do not pay much attention to the ads, but this one caugh...